Chef suffers burns after gas cylinder explodes in hotel kitchen

19 April 2018 by
Chef suffers burns after gas cylinder explodes in hotel kitchen

A chef has suffered first degree burns after a gas cylinder exploded in a hotel kitchen in Shropshire.

Emergency services were called to the Raven Hotel in Much Wenlock shortly before 8.30am on 18 April.

Firefighters have said that the explosion was caused by a small butane cylinder, possibly a blow torch, being placed on a hot surface.

Firefighters administered first aid before the chef was taken to hospital.

Station manager Craig Jackson told the Shropshire Star: "We believe the explosion happened when a small gas cylinder came into contact with a hot surface in the kitchen area of the hotel.

"The chef was the only person in the kitchen at the time and he suffered first-degree burns to 6% of his body, on his face, hands and arms.

"The explosion caused damage to the property including windows being blown off, doors being blown off their hinges and also damage to a conservatory."

More than 170 firefighters battle blaze at thatched hotel>>

Get The Caterer every week on your smartphone, tablet, or even in good old-fashioned hard copy (or all three!).

The Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email

Start the working day with The Caterer’s free breakfast briefing email

Sign Up and manage your preferences below

Check mark icon
Thank you

You have successfully signed up for the Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email and will hear from us soon!

Jacobs Media Group is honoured to be the recipient of the 2020 Queen's Award for Enterprise.

The highest official awards for UK businesses since being established by royal warrant in 1965. Read more.


Ad Blocker detected

We have noticed you are using an adblocker and – although we support freedom of choice – we would like to ask you to enable ads on our site. They are an important revenue source which supports free access of our website's content, especially during the COVID-19 crisis.

trade tracker pixel tracking