Hotels in Devon and the UK's bed and breakfast (B&B) businesses have triumphed in TripAdvisor's 10th annual Travellers' Choice Hotel Awards.
Based on the ratings of more than 60 millions reviewers to the online site, the awards recognise the world's and the UK's best properties across several categories, including best hotels, best B&Bs, and best for service.
According to TripAdvisor, the UK can lay claim to eight of the world's top 10 B&Bs, while Devon is home to four of the country's 10 best hotels, including the Charterhouse hotel which has climbed from fourth place last year to number one.
"With a five-star traveller rating on TripAdvisor, visitors to the Charterhouse comment on its ‘warm and genuine hospitality', ‘superb' breakfasts and more," said Emma Shaw, TripAdvisor spokeswoman. "With rooms available from well under £100 per night, the UK's best hotel is also remarkably affordable."
Les Ward, proprietor of the Charterhouse, Torquay, said he was thrilled with the award. "Our guests' enjoyment is our top priority, and we strive to provide the utmost in service, value and quality, which has resulted in getting such excellent feedback from our guests."
TripAdvisor's best B&B in the world is the Twenty One in Brighton, which climbed from sixth place last year. Matt Fletcher and Andy Cole, proprietors of the property, are delighted with their success. "It is a testament to our hard work and dedication to providing an excellent level of customer service to our guests," they said.
Last year, there were no London hotels in TripAdvisor's top 25 UK hotel list, but this year there are three: the Milestone, Hotel 41 and the Haymarket.
"Although it's certainly good news to see London in the list, the highest ranked hotel from the capital came in at a lukewarm 13th place," said Shaw. "With just months to go before the opening ceremony, only time will tell if London can live up to the high expectations."
TOP 25 UK HOTELS (brackets denote last year's ranking)
1. Charterhouse hotel,Torquay, Devon (4)
2. Hillside hotel,Ventnor, Isle of Wight (18)
3. Rudding Park hotel, Harrogate, Yorkshire (1)
4. Beechwood Hotel,North Walsham, East Anglia
5. Crimdon Dene Hotel, Torquay, Devon
6. Yeoldon House hotel,Bideford, Devon (12)
7. The Chambers Park Palace,Leeds, Yorkshire
8. Shelley's,Lynmouth, Devon
9. Number Four at Stow,Stow-on-the-Wold, Gloucestershire
10. Bath House hotel,Chard, Somerset
11. Rampsbeck Country House hotel, Watermillock, Cumbria
12. Cary Court hotel, Torquay, Devon
13. The Milestone hotel, London
14. Gilpin Hotel & Lake House, Windermere, Cumbria
15. Hotel 41, London
16. Base2Stay Liverpool, Liverpool
17. Overwater Hall, Bassenthwaite, Cumbria
18. Merewood Country House hotel, Windermere, Lake District
19. Tara Lodge, Belfast, Northern Ireland
20. The Farmhouse hotel, Guernsey, Channel Islands
21. Longueville Manor Hotel, Jersey, Channel Islands
22. Haymarket hotel, London
23. Northcote, Langho, Lancashire
24. Dufferin Coachign Inn, County Down, Northern Ireland
25. Green Bough hotel, Chester, Cheshire
WORLD'S BEST B&BS (brackets denote last year's ranking)
1. The Twenty One, Brighton, East Sussex, England (6)
2. The Old Manse, Invermoriston, Scotland (1)
3. Riverside hotel,Ambleside, Cumbria, England (4)
4. Casa Portagioia Bed and Breakfast, Tuscany, Italy (2)
5. Kenley hotel, Blackpool, Lancashire, England
6. The Green House, Sacred Valley, Peru
7. Byfield House, Cotswolds, Gloucestershire, England
8. One Alloway Retreat, Ayrshire, Scotland
9. The Manor Coach House, Worcester, Worcestershire, England
10. Bindon Bottom B&B, West Lulworth, Dorset, England
By Janet Harmer
E-mail your comments to Janet Harmer here.
If you have something to say on this story or anything else join the debate at Table Talk - Caterer's new networking forum. Go to www.catererandhotelkeeper.com/tabletalk
Looking for a new job? Find your next job here with Catererandhotelkeeper.com jobs