Alex Calderwood, founder of Ace Hotels, who was found dead in his Shoreditch hotel last November, died due to a fatal combination of drink and drugs, according to the inquest into his death.
The inquest, which took place yesterday, heard that a combination of drinks and drug intake caused Calderwood to collapse, reported the Daily Mail.
Calderwood's body was reportedly only discovered after his business partner Kelly Sawdon had tried in vain to contact him for three days. She used a master key to gain entry to his bedroom, and is said to have found him face-down on the bed on 14 November, surrounded by alcohol and drug paraphernalia.
It was later established that he had died at least a day earlier. The inquest found the cause of death to be drug and alcohol toxicity, with at least four times the drink-drive limit of alcohol and traces of cocaine said to have been found in his system.
Calderwood had spoken in the past about his problems with addiction, and his stay in rehab in 2011.
Ace Hotels first opened in the United States in 1999, including in Seattle, Portland and New York, before coming to London's Shoreditch in September 2013. The 265-bedroom hotel is on the site of a former Crowne Plaza, and was bought at a guide price of £80m. It also features the Hoi Polloi restaurant run by Pablo Flack and David Waddington.
The company is well-known for its "design-led" concept and interiors, and aims to offer affordable, quirky rooms with a strong local connection to the surrounding area.