Service with a smile 21 February 2020 Tom Kemble of the Pass at South Lodge cooks up a pumpkin masterclass and shares why it’s important for chefs to meet their customers
In this week's issue...Service with a smile Tom Kemble of the Pass at South Lodge cooks up a pumpkin masterclass and shares why it’s important for chefs to meet their customers
Read More
Search
The Caterer

Gas leak sparks evacuation at luxury hotel

24 July 2006
Gas leak sparks evacuation at luxury hotel

More than 100 guests, including a wedding party, had to be evacuated from a luxury hotel after a leak of deadly chlorine gas.

The accident happened at Matfen Hall hotel in Northumberland when contractors had been working on a chlorine tank, which feeds the swimming pool.

It is believed a chemical the workmen were using reacted with some chlorine that had been left in the tank, causing the leak, which triggered the hotel fire alarms.

The guests were ushered outside, while fire crews used fans to ventilate the hotel.

The incident happened at 12.30pm on Thursday and a wedding ceremony, which had been due to start at 2pm, had to be delayed for three hours.

General manager David Hunter said: "It was very difficult for everyone but the guests were very co-operative and fortunately nobody was hurt. Everything is now back to normal."

Matfen Hall, which has 53 bedrooms and an 18-hole golf course, is a former stately home, which was converted into a hotel in 1999.

Matfen Hall hotel triumphs in Enjoy England Awards >>

Case study: How Matfen Hall acheives staff turnover of just 8% >>

By Nigel Green

Get your copy of Caterer and Hotelkeeper every week -

The Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email

Start the working day with The Caterer’s free breakfast briefing email

Sign Up and manage your preferences below

Thank you

You have successfully signed up for the Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email and will hear from us soon!