German Gymnasium won both the Best High End Restaurant award and the Best Loo award last night at the first Blue Badge Style Awards at Lutyens in Fleet Street, London.
Winners spanned the country, with the Dakota hotel in Glasgow winning Best Boutique Hotel and Bryn Williams in Porth Eirias winning Best Budget Restaurant. There were many triumphs for venues in listed buildings as well, including the Beaumont hotel in Mayfair, which won the Blue Badge Style & Historic England Award for Best Listed Building for its combination of art deco interiors and accessibility.
The Blue Badge Style Awards, presented by Blue Badge Style founder Fiona Jarvis and broadcaster Mik Scarlet, celebrate the effort that stylish hotels, restaurants and bars have made to attract guests with disabilities. All the nominated bars, restaurants and hotels will receive ‘As Recommended by Blue Badge Style' ticks, along with the winners.
The awards were judged by Fiona Jarvis; Tina Norden, project director at Conran and Partners; Christos Passas, design director at ZHA; and journalist Alex Taylor.
Jarvis said: "Too often people with disabilities don't go out because they don't know what to expect when they get there. Places like the German Gymnasium make it easy and elegant. They won the Best Loo award for having all the right facilities, but getting away from the clinical style of most disabled toilets. The design of their loo is as stylish as the rest of the restaurant and even has cool music and wallpaper."
The full list of winners
- Best Budget Bar No.1 Duke St, London
- Best High End Bar Bellanger, London
- Best Budget Restaurant Bryn Williams at Porth Eirias
- Blue Badge Style & Conran and Partners Best High End Restaurant German Gymnasium, London
- Best Boutique Hotel Dakota, Glasgow
- Best High End Hotel South Place hotel, London
- Best Loo German Gymnasium, London
- Most Ludicrous Loo Tom's Kitchen, London
- Blue Badge Style & Historic England Award for Best Listed Building The Beaumont
- Best European Venue Restaurant Steirereck
- Blue Badge Style Award for going Above and Beyond Bank of England
- Lifetime Achievement Award Charlie Lyons, Sesame
Access is a big selling point >>