Great Western Hotel in Newquay to reopen

01 May 2008 by
Great Western Hotel in Newquay to reopen

The Great Western Hotel in Newquay has been given the go ahead to reopen after a guest died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

The hotel was deemed fit to reopen by environmental health officers, the BBC reports today.

Frederick William Jackson was found dead in his room at the St Austell brewery owned hotel in Newquay.

The hotel has been prohibited from using three of its boilers and will begin operating again once a temporary boiler has been installed.

The hotel had only reopened six weeks before the incident following a £1.1m refurbishment.

Odourless carbon monoxide is a by-product of fires and boilers and can be fatal unless cleared.

Man dies after gas leak at Cornish hotel >>

Liverpool hotel to install carbon monoxide detectors >>

HSE warns hotels to check gas appliances >>

By Gemma Sharkey

E-mail your comments to Gemma Sharkey here.

The Caterer Blog]( Catch up with more news and gossip on the Caterer Blog here
[Newsletters For the latest hospitality news, sign up for our e-mail newsletters.
The Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email

Start the working day with The Caterer’s free breakfast briefing email

Sign Up and manage your preferences below

Check mark icon
Thank you

You have successfully signed up for the Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email and will hear from us soon!

Jacobs Media Group is honoured to be the recipient of the 2020 Queen's Award for Enterprise.

The highest official awards for UK businesses since being established by royal warrant in 1965. Read more.


Ad Blocker detected

We have noticed you are using an adblocker and – although we support freedom of choice – we would like to ask you to enable ads on our site. They are an important revenue source which supports free access of our website's content, especially during the COVID-19 crisis.

trade tracker pixel tracking