Around 200 guests were evacuated from the Holiday Inn Express at Glasgow Airport in the early hours of this morning (9 September) following a gas leak.
The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) received a call from police at 3.05am reporting a suspected gas leak at St Andrew's Drive in Paisley.
Guests were moved to the nearby Holiday Inn as a precautionary measure and the M8 was closed between junction 27 and 29 for about three and a half hours. It reopened at around 6.30am.
Gas engineers traced the leak to an underground mains pipe in St Andrews Drive close to the hotel's car park. Firefighters and Scottish Gas Network engineers worked to repair the pipe and isolate the leak.
Glasgow Airport's Twitter account confirmed the airport was operating as normal but it advised travellers to allow more time for their journeys.
A spokesperson for Police Scotland, said: "At 2.45am on Friday 9 September 2016, police and emergency services responded to reports of a gas leak, on a roadway outside, close to the car park at the Holiday Inn Express at Glasgow Airport."
A Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) spokesman, added: "Firefighters have been working with police officers to evacuate nearby premises, which is a precautionary measure to ensure the safety of the public. There are no reports of any casualties."
Three fire engines and a specialist vehicle attended the incident. There are no reports of anyone having become unwell as a result of the leak.
Craig Renfrew, the general manager of Holiday Inn Express Glasgow Airport, said: "Due to a gas leak reported on a road near the car park of our hotel, Holiday Inn Express Glasgow Airport is temporarily closed as a safety precaution. All guests have been moved to the nearby Holiday Inn.
"The health and safety of our guests and team is of paramount importance to us. We are working closely with the authorities and once we get the all clear we will return to business as usual."
Le Chabanais closed due to gas leak >>