A Lincolnshire hotelier has received a suspended 12 week sentence for flouting health and safety laws.
Kulwinder Bola, owner of the Royal Renaissance hotel in Skegness, was found guilty of a number of offences including ignoring a prohibition notice issued by the Health and Safety Executive.
Bola was also prosecuted for using an unregistered gas fitter to install pipes and gas catering appliances and ordered to carry out 200 hours of community service within the year, along with paying the full court costs of £20,623.
The HSE said that he had risked the lives of staff and guests by potentially exposing them to the dangers of carbon monoxide.
During a health and safety inspection at the hotel on 4 July 2006, a number of items were found to be immediately dangerous, including the gas supply to kitchen appliances.
Those appliances were disconnected from the gas supply and a prohibition notice was served banning their use, but Bola went on to encourage his chefs to use the banned equipment.
HSE inspector Judith McNulty-Green said: "It is extremely important that gas appliances and pipework are installed by a CORGI-registered fitter. Always use a registered fitter. It is easy to check if a fitter is registered as there is a free phone number to call or you can check on the CORGI website."
She also warned operators against the temptation to save money, adding: "Never be tempted to cut corners or save money - you will be putting your health, or even your life, at risk. Every year 20 people lose their lives from carbon monoxide poisoning."
Norfolk hotel fined £12,000-plus over guest fall >>
By Rosie Birkett
E-mail your comments to Rosie Birkett here.
Looking for a new job? Find your next hotel job here with Caterersearch.com jobs