Check out the answers to our guess the prices quiz on page 76 to see how much of a hotel buff you really are
1. The Carlton Tower hotel, London. Used to be run by Hyatt, now operated by Jumeirah International - one point
Rack rate on this room: a whopping £3,750. Spot on - two points; within £1,000 either way - one point
2. Premier Lodge, bought last year by Spirit as part of the sell-off from Scottish & Newcastle. The budget chain that everyone wants to buy - one point
Average room rate at Premier Lodge: £44. Spot on - two points; £5 either side - one point
3. The Welcombe Hotel & Golf Course, Stratford-upon-Avon, a Menzies hotel - one point
Rack rate on this room: £240 for bed and breakfast. Spot on - two points; £30 either side - one point
4. Days Hotel, Rathmines, Dublin. Also runs chain of serviced apartments. Owned by Cendant Europe, franchised in Ireland by the Prem Group and rapidly expanding throughout the UK and Ireland through other franchisees - one point
Rack rate: €90 (£60). Spot on - two points; a10 either way - one point
5. The Park Inn, Heathrow, part of Rezidor SAS Hospitality. Owned by Royal Bank of Scotland and formerly leased to Le M‚ridien - one point
Rack rate: £109. Spot on - two points; £10 either way - one point
6. Marriott, West India Quay, London - one point
Rack rate: £250. Spot on - two points; £25 either way - one point
7. The Oscar Wilde Suite, Cadogan hotel, London - one point
Rack rate: £350. Spot on - two points; £50 either way - one point
8. The Chester Crabwall Manor hotel, just outside the Roman town of Chester - one point
Rack rate: £181. Spot on - two points; £30 either way - one point
Total possible - 24 points
Check your scores
Well done! You certainly know your stuff and are a real hotel boffin. You obviously have a high expense account as you stay in so many hotel rooms. Or are you the boss's PA who makes all the bookings? Either way, isn't it about time you got a life and took up Vietnamese pot-bellied pig wrestling like the rest of us?
You're a dedicated follower of furnishings with sound industry knowledge. But you do need to brush up on some of your bedroom skills. Make it a key task to visit three new hotel rooms a week and you'll soon be in the premier league.
Sorry to say you're not a grade A student. You have no idea how much things cost. You couldn't tell a Formule 1 from the Lanesborough. You need help. See next week's Caterer for the price of a pint of milk.
Less than 8
Oh dear, you either have very little bedside manner or you're ace at negotiating freebies and consequently know the price of nothing. You need to get out more and start spending some money. It's been a tough few years for operators, so they could do with some of your dosh.