Not one London hotel has made it into a list of the top 25 hotels in the UK, as Rudding Park in Harrogate, Yorkshire walked away with the top spot.
Travel website Tripadvisor compiled the list as part of its eighth annual Travellers' Choice hotel awards.
But no London hotels found a place in the ranking in the overall list of the best 25 hotels in the UK.
Alison Copus, vice-president of marketing in Europe for TripAdvisor said: "With the Olympics just two years away it's worrying not to see a single London hotel in the Top 25 UK list. Come 2012 all eyes will be on our capital city and London hotels are clearly going to have to raise their game to make sure they provide world-class accommodation."
Simon Mackaness, chairman of Rudding Park, which was also ranked sixth in the list of the top 10 luxury hotels of the world, said: "This is a phenomenal achievement and I am delighted that Rudding Park is favoured so highly among our guests.
"To be voted number one in the UK and to be rated number six among the world's best hotels is an accomplishment we have aspired to since purchasing Rudding Park 30 years ago."
The top 25 UK hotels, according to Tripadvisor, are:
1. Rudding Park, Harrogate
2. The Manor Coach House, Worcester
3. Boskerris Hotel, St Ives
4. Can-y-Bae, Llandudno
5. Charterhouse Hotel, Torquay
6. Silverdale, Seaford
7. Castlebank Hotel, Conwy
8. Avalon Beach Hotel, Bournemouth
9. Dunkery Beacon Hotel, Exmoor
10. Trelaske Hotel, Looe
11. The Old Rectory Hotel, Martinhoe
12. Apsley House Hotel, Bath
13. The Waverley, Whitby
14. The Clarance Hotel, Portsmouth
15. Tremarne Hotel, Mevagissey
16. Yeoldon, Bideford
17. Gwestry, Aberystwyth
18. Hotel Una, Brighton
19. Hunters Quay Hotel, Dunoon
20. Bowling Green Hotel, Plymouth
21. Staybridge Suites, Newcastle
22. Cedar Manor House Hotel, Windermere
23. Broom House, Whitby
24. The Waterhead Hotel, Ambleside
25. Primrose Valley Hotel, St Ives
The overall winner of best luxury hotel of the world was the Golden Well hotel in Prague, Czech Republic.
Meanwhile the Luna & Simone hotel in London picked up fourth place in the top 10 best family hotels in the world, ahead of the Avalon Beach hotel in Bournemouth, Dorset, which made sixth position.
British B&Bs also dominated the list of ‘best B&Bs in Europe'. The B&Bs to make the grade were:
2. Number One B&B, Deal, Kent
3. Riverside Hotel, Lake District
4. Craigatin House & Coutyard, Perth
5. Athole Guest House, Bath
6. Enchanted Manor, Isle of Wight
7. Bay Tree House, London
8. The Leeway, Whitby, Yorks
9. Ewich House, Loch Lomond
10. Summer Hill Country House, Lake District
An Italian B&B, Casa Portagioia in Tuscany took the top spot.
The Travellers' Choice award winners for 2010 were determined by a combination of the TripAdvisor website's "Popularity Index" and traveller ratings of specific properties.
By Neil Gerrard
E-mail your comments to Neil Gerrard here.
If you have something to say on this story or anything else join the debate at Table Talk - Caterer's new networking forum. Go to www.caterersearch.com/tabletalk
Looking for a new job? Find your next hote job here with Caterersearch.com jobs