Twenty hotel operators have been awarded management scholarships by professional body the Master Innholders.
The successful candidates will take part in two-week management development courses at Cranfield University in Cranfield, Buckinghamshire; Cornell University in the US, or the École Hôtelière de Lausanne in Switzerland.
Applicants included general managers, director of events, head concierges and executive chefs.
Stuart Bowery, general manager of Grosvenor House, a JW Marriott hotel, and chairman of the Master Innholders, said: "The quality and breadth of this year's applicants has been outstanding and we're delighted that 70% of this year's intake are from independent hotels.
"Each successful candidate has demonstrated clear next-level management potential and are keen to further support the development of other professionals once they have completed their scholarship."
Alan Shaw, general manager of Macdonald Hotel Manchester and one of the successful candidates, said he was thrilled to be granted a scholarship. "The opportunity to develop my knowledge, experience and skillset amongst the best in the industry is not something that is freely offered and I'm extremely grateful that Master Innholders believed I was the right person to invest in."
Now in their 24th year, the Master Innholder scholarships are funded by the Worshipful Company of Innholders, the Savoy Educational Trust, the Master Innholders Charitable Trust, and the Lord Forte Foundation. Alumni go on to join the St. Julian Scholars, which encourages the mentoring of others.
The Master Innholders 2017 scholars are:
Cornell University: General Managers Programme • Adam Dyke, general manager, Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa, Bolton Abeey, North Yorkshire
• Thierry Henrot, general manager, Sheraton Skyline, Heathrow
• Warren Miller, general manager, by ofTen Manchester Street, London
• Alan Shaw, General Manager, Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, Manchester
• Tej Walia, general manager, Dartington Hall, near Totnes, Devon
• Jannes Soerensen, general manager, the Beaumont, London
Cornell University: Professional Development Programme • Lottie Haylock, accounts and commercial manager, Malhotra Leisure PLC
• Laura Prentice, director of events, the Dorchester, London
Cranfield University: Cranfield Talent Development Programme • Mirko Cattini, hotel manager, Corinthia Hotel London
• Matthew Hill, executive chef, Down Hall Hotel & Spa, near Bishop's Storford, Hertfordshire
• Ian Jones, business development manager, Celtic Manor Resort, Newport, Gwent
• Sunil Kanjanghat, general manager, Montagu Arms hotel, Beaulieu, Hampshire
• Angela Kemp, front of house manager, Rockliffe Hall, Darlington, County Durham
• Craig Moffat, food and beverage and events manager, Gleneagles, Auchterarder, Perthshire
• Ben Morcombe, deputy general manager, Grand Hotel & Spa, York
• Olga Sommer, revenue manager, Ham Yard hotel, London
• David Young, head concierge, Brown's hotel, London
École Hôtelière de Lausanne: Executive Education Programme • Sabine Kern, director of sales and marketing, The London Edition
• Kristina Veselyte, executive housekeeper, Hilton London Bankside
• Chara Willis, guest relations manager, Seaham Hall, Seaham, County Durham
Latest video from The Caterer