The Caterer
Jacobs Media Group is honoured to be the recipient of the 2020 Queen's Award for Enterprise.

Maybourne Hotel Group agrees new £547m debt facility

29 December 2012 by


The company, which has been at the centre of a control battle between the multi-millionaire Barclay brothers and Irish property magnate Paddy McKillen, has been provided with a £547m debt facility - over a period of five years - arranged by Blackstone Real Estate Debt Strategies (BREDS). The bulk of the finance, £400m, has come from the Bank of Merrill Lynch, the Royal Bank of Canada and Wells Fargo Bank, with a £147m mezzanine loan funded in partnership with the Royal Bank of Canada and Starwood Capital.

Maybourne's refinancing follows a successful £145m rights issue concluded with existing shareholders.

Maybourne's chief executive, Stephen Alden, said he was delighted to have completed the complex refinancing before the end of the year. "It places us in an ideal position to realise our capital investment strategy and thus to maintain our leadership among the world's finest hotels."

Joe Pedlow, managing director of BREDS, added: "This transaction was delivered because of the quality of the assets, the strength of the management team and the commitment of the lenders."

While Sir David and Sir Frederick Barclay have moved closer to obtaining full control of Maybourne with their 64% holding in the company, McKillen, who owns the remaining 36% of shares, has won the right to take his claim on the company to the Court of Appeal in the new year.


Barclay brothers have paid no corporation tax on the Ritz for 17 years, reveals BBC's Panorama >>

Battle for control of Maybourne Group continues as McKillen wins right to appeal >>

Barclay brothers score High Court victory over battle for Maybourne Hotel Group >>

By Janet Harmer
E-mail your comments to Janet Harmer here.

Tabletalk
Tabletalk
If you have something to say on this story or anything else join the debate at Table Talk - Caterer's new networking forum. Go to www.catererandhotelkeeper.com/tabletalk

Catererandhotelkeeper.com jobs

Looking for a new job? Find your next job here with Catererandhotelkeeper.com jobs

Blogs on Catererandhotelkeeper.com ](http://www.catererandhotelkeeper.com/blogs) Catch up with more news and gossip on all Caterer's blogs
[E-Newsletters](http://www.catererandhotelkeeper.com/email-newsletters.htm)[ For the latest hospitality news, sign up for our E-newsletters
Â
TagsFinance and Hotels
The Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email

Start the working day with The Caterer’s free breakfast briefing email

Sign Up and manage your preferences below

Check mark icon
Thank you

You have successfully signed up for the Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email and will hear from us soon!

Jacobs Media Group is honoured to be the recipient of the 2020 Queen's Award for Enterprise.

The highest official awards for UK businesses since being established by royal warrant in 1965. Read more.

close

Ad Blocker detected

We have noticed you are using an adblocker and – although we support freedom of choice – we would like to ask you to enable ads on our site. They are an important revenue source which supports free access of our website's content, especially during the COVID-19 crisis.

trade tracker pixel tracking