New finance stream for Leading Hotels of the World

12 March 2012 by
New finance stream for Leading Hotels of the World

The 430-strong Leading Hotels of the World (LHW) consortium is on the verge of introducing a new revenue stream.

Currently, 55% of LHW's income comes from membership fees, adjusted according to the number of hotel bedrooms, with the remaining 45% accounted for by the 10% fee charged on all transactions generated by the organisation.

However, Ted Teng. president and chief executive of LHW, has decided that, in order to become more competitive and create greater co-operation between members, the transaction fee should be abolished and replaced by each hotel signing up three regular guests per room to the Leaders loyalty programme. In return for the $150 (£96) fee, each member will receive benefits such as free Wi-Fi and Continental breakfast, as well as a free night for every fifth night booked with LHW.

"We think this is a very compelling model to help boost revenue," Teng told Caterer and Hotelkeeper during a visit to London from LHW's headquarters in New York City.

The new means of financing LHW is currently been trialled at 50 hotels worldwide, with a view to introducing it across the entire portfolio of hotels in 2013.

Teng said that while he would like to see LHW increase its number of members, "it is more important to achieve the right members - iconic hotels in great locations - rather than the right numbers".

Since Teng joined LHW in 2008, the membership has fallen from 475 to 430.

Annual revenue for the company grew from $546m (£350m) in 2010 to $613m (£392m) in 2011.

LHW is currently represented by 13 members in the UK, including the Ritz and the Milestone in London, and the Scotsman in Edinburgh.

Leading Hotels of the World launches carbon offsetting partnership >>

Hotel consortia - members only >>

By Janet Harmer

E-mail your comments to Janet Harmer here.

If you have something to say on this story or anything else join the debate at Table Talk - Caterer's new networking forum. Go to jobs

Looking for a new job? Find your next job here with jobs

Blogs on ]( Catch up with more news and gossip on all Caterer's blogs
[E-Newsletters]([ For the latest hospitality news, sign up for our E-newsletters
The Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email

Start the working day with The Caterer’s free breakfast briefing email

Sign Up and manage your preferences below

Check mark icon
Thank you

You have successfully signed up for the Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email and will hear from us soon!

Jacobs Media is honoured to be the recipient of the 2020 Queen's Award for Enterprise.

The highest official awards for UK businesses since being established by royal warrant in 1965. Read more.


Ad Blocker detected

We have noticed you are using an adblocker and – although we support freedom of choice – we would like to ask you to enable ads on our site. They are an important revenue source which supports free access of our website's content, especially during the COVID-19 crisis.

trade tracker pixel tracking