Search
The Caterer

Premier Inn in six-figure settlement following scalding shower death

25 May 2017 by
Premier Inn in six-figure settlement following scalding shower death

Premier Inn has paid out a "substantial six-figure sum" to the family of a tourist who died after being scalded in a shower at the Premier Inn Edinburgh A1 Newcraighall.

Kalyani Uthaman, 59, from India had been on holiday in Scotland in August 2012 when she was "severely scalded" in the hotel shower. She suffered multiple organ failure and died in hospital weeks later, reports the BBC.

Her family sued for a six-figure sum to pay hospital fees.

A spokesperson for Premier Inn said: "We are very sorry for the tragic accident that occurred to Ms Uthaman in 2012 and our thoughts are with her family.

"We take millions of bookings every year and we would like to reassure our guests that this was an isolated incident. We constantly monitor and regulate the water temperature of our showers in line with industry best practice, which is based on Health & Safety Executive (HSE) regulatory guidance and NHS health care guidelines."

Pembrokeshire launches petition to stop Premier Inn opening >>

Arora completes Premier Inn Terminal 4 London Heathrow >>

Premier Inn ‘world's strongest hotel brand' >>

Premier Inn set for new sites at Wood Green and Canning Town >>

Videos from The Caterer archives

Are you looking for a new role? See all the current hospitality vacancies available with The Caterer Jobs

The Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email

Start the working day with The Caterer’s free breakfast briefing email

Sign Up and manage your preferences below

Thank you

You have successfully signed up for the Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email and will hear from us soon!

Jacobs Media Group is honoured to be the recipient of the 2020 Queen's Award for Enterprise.

The highest official awards for UK businesses since being established by royal warrant in 1965. Read more.