Ramada Jarvis Hotels has been fined £400,000 by a Scottish court after a guest fell to his death from a faulty lift.
Edinburgh Sheriff Court was told last week that despite 30 recommendations to upgrade the lift no action had been taken because the £20,000 required was not available.
Fareham was killed after the antiquated lift at the hotel - known to be unreliable - got stuck between floors and he fell trying to escape to the level below.
In a statement Jarvis said: "We have co-operated fully with the authorities throughout their investigation and extend our deepest sympathy to the family of Mr Fareham."
By Chris Druce
Get your copy of Caterer and Hotelkeeper every week - click here to subscribe and save 25%.