Search
The Caterer

Sunlight on mirror causes Roxburghe fire

13 April 2015 by
Sunlight on mirror causes Roxburghe fire

Sunlight reflecting off a mirror is thought to have sparked a fire that prompted the evacuation of the Roxburghe hotel in Scotland over the weekend.

Firefighters were called to the hotel and golf course in Kelso in the Scottish Borders on Saturday at around 2.45pm to tackle the blaze in a second-floor bedroom.

A spokesman for the fire service told STV News: "The fire was caused by sunlight reflecting off a shaving mirror and onto curtains."

The blaze was extinguished in around an hour but caused "extensive damage" to the bedroom, the fire service said.

The four-AA-star, 22-bedroom Roxburghe recently signed up to a 15-year management contract with Inverlochy Castle Management International (ICMI) and Albert Roux.

Owned by the Duke of Roxburghe, the hotel stands in the grounds of his ancestral home of Floors Castle, near Kelso, Roxburghshire. It was taken over by the new management team on 1 September 2014 with a view to achieving a world-class reputation for its hospitality and food.

Roxburghe hotel to become ‘world-class' under management of ICMI and Albert Roux >>

The Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email

Start the working day with The Caterer’s free breakfast briefing email

Sign Up and manage your preferences below

Thank you

You have successfully signed up for the Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email and will hear from us soon!