Kitchin, who runs his eponymous Michelin-starred restaurant in Leith with wife Michaela, picked up the award on Sunday (6 May) at a gala dinner at the Radisson hotel in Glasgow.
He is the youngest chef to have won the award at 29.
Organiser Brian Hannan said: "What a future Scotland has now with such a wealth of new talent. Edinburgh has become the new powerhouse in Scottish cooking and chefs like Tom will inspire a generation."
The other winners were:
- Restaurant Chef of the Year: Keith Marley, La Pontiniere, Gullane
- Hotel Chef of the Year: Ian McNaught, Roman Camp hotel, Callander
- City Chef of the Year: Jacqueline O'Donnell, The Sisters', Glasgow
- Rural Chef of the Year: Russell Robertson, The Linein Room, Dumfries
- New Restaurant of the Year: Loic Lefebvre, Abstract, Edinburgh
- Casual Dining Award: Geoff Cook, Sheriffmuir Inn, Dunblane
- Gastro Pub of the Year: Craig Wilson, Eat on the Green, Udny
- Gourmet Dinner (over £50): Neil Clark, Etain, Glasgow
- Gourmet Dinner (under £50): Ashley Gallant, Culter Mill Restaurant, Biggar
- Young Chef of the Year: Grant McNicol, Dornoch Castle hotel and Nigel Liston, Alchemy, Dundee (joint winners)
By Kerstin Kühn
E-mail your comments to Kerstin Kühn here.