Search
The Caterer

Wedding guest dies from salmonella poisoning

02 September 2010 by
Wedding guest dies from salmonella poisoning

An investigation has been launched following the death of an 82-year old wedding guest from salmonella poisoning.

Rene Kwartz died on 26 August after being taken ill after the Jewish wedding celebration on 8 August at the Hilton Suite, an events venue in Prestwich, Greater Manchester.

She was one of nine guests who were diagnosed with suffering from the salmonella infection. Four, including Kwartz, required hospital treatment.

Environmental health offices from Bury Council and specialists from the Health Protection Agency's Greater Manchester Health Protection Unit (HPU) and NHS Bury have set up a joint investigation.

The outside caterers, named by the Daily Mail as Shefa Mehadrin, are co-operating with the investigations into the outbreak.

Dr Marko Petrovic of the HPA's Greater Manchester HPU, said deaths from salmonella infection were rare. "It's very sad that a patient associated with this outbreak has died and our thoughts and sympathies are with the family," he said. "We are looking into the circumstances of the case."

Restaurant hit with heavy fine after salmonella outbreak >>

Salmonella eggs cost Michelin-starred restaurant £3,000 fine >>

Salmonella outbreak at Cumbrian hotel linked to health of women >>

By Janet Harmer

E-mail your comments to Janet Harmer here.

If you have something to say on this story or anything else join the debate at Table Talk - Caterer's new networking forum. Go to www.caterersearch.com/tabletalk

Caterersearch.com jobs

Looking for a new job? Find your next job here with Caterersearch.com jobs

[Newsletters For the latest hospitality news, sign up for our e-mail newsletters.
The Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email

Start the working day with The Caterer’s free breakfast briefing email

Sign Up and manage your preferences below

Thank you

You have successfully signed up for the Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email and will hear from us soon!