M Restaurants has named the eight finalists for its Young Chef of the Year 2020 competition.
The entrants, all aged between 18 and 29, were tasked with creating an original four-course menu, which was judged on qualities including sustainability and ethical sourcing.
Each finalist will showcase their menu at a pop-up night at M Victoria Street in London this month, with judges including chefs Adam Handling, Romy Gill and Richard Bainbridge.
Members of the public will be able to attend the pop-ups, taking place from 6-9, 13-16 and 20-23 October, before a winner is announced at a gala dinner at M Victoria on 2 November.
Throughout the competition the young chefs will be mentored by a team of experts including M culinary director Mike Reid (pictured above), and group chief executive Martin Williams.
"After what can only be described as the toughest, most challenging year hospitality has faced to date, we recognise that now more than ever is the time to celebrate, champion and support young talent," said Williams.
The finalists are as follows:
- Jason Ramplin, Howard's House hotel, Salisbury, Wiltshire
- Daniel Araitei, Caesar at the Dolphin, Braintree, Essex
- Dominik Mazur, Malmaison Edinburgh
- Daniel Rodriguez, Gaucho Manchester
- Jesus Castel, Iberica Canary Wharf, London
- Donovan Dyer, M Restaurants
- Eyram Johnson, the Montagu Kitchen at the Hyatt Regency London - the Churchill hotel
- Aaron Thomas, Hawkyns by Atul Kochhar, Amersham, Buckinghamshire
Tickets for the pop-up nights are available to purchase through OpenTable.