Manchester hospitality sector pushes ahead with legal action after 'insufficient' government response
Hospitality leaders in Greater Manchester have commenced legal proceedings against the imposition of Tier 3 (very high) restrictions on the region after receiving an "insufficient" response from government.
The group, led by the region's night time economy adviser Sacha Lord (pictured), had said the move had no scientific basis and will "recklessly destroy" the hospitality and late-night industries.
Greater Manchester moved to Tier 3 on Friday (23 October), meaning pubs and bars not serving ‘substantial food' must close.
Lord had written to the government last week and yesterday said: "We have now received a formal response letter from government about Greater Manchester being placed into Tier 3. I cannot go into detail, but I can say that we have considered it and it is insufficient.
"I have instructed my lawyers to commence legal proceedings. Governmental decision-making must be based on transparency and openness, both of which are lacking at the moment."
Last week Lord said hospitality businesses had "spent thousands" implementing government-recommended safety measures and he had not seen any "clear, tangible scientific evidence" that closures would reduce the spread of coronavirus.
He is seeking a judicial review, which challenges the lawfulness of a government decision.