Robert Ortiz, formerly head chef at Lima London, has opened Chakana restaurant in Birmingham, a Peruvian restaurant with a drinks list specialising in pisco. The restaurant takes its name from the Incan Cross. It represents the sun, land and sea, and promotes the idea of individuals living in harmony with each other and their surroundings.
The restaurant’s interior features textures and colours inspired by Peruvian weaving and textiles, and will also exhibit works by local Birmingham and Peruvian artists.
The venue also has a private dining area in the building’s original bank vault.
- Opened 26 September
- Covers 60
- Head chef Robert Ortiz
- General manager Anthony Trueman
- Design 2G Design & Build
- Typical dishes Sea bass ceviche; cod a la plancha; confit suckling pig with yucca root; Andean potato stew with braised lettuce and seaweed
Israeli chef Oded Oren has opened his first solo restaurant in London’s Dalston after a string of pop-ups and residencies, combining Israeli and Middle Eastern cuisine. The restaurant offers a weekend brunch menu and has a bar area serving snacks and wines.
- Covers 35
- Typical dishes Monkfish ‘chraime’ and hand-rolled couscous; chargrilled hake kebabs and sheep’s yogurt
Bristol & Bath Rum Distillery
Halewood Wines & Spirits has opened a bar, distillery and rum school in Bristol’s former Jamie’s Italian. The bar features more than 150 different rums, including the Cornish Dead Man’s Fingers. The business was founded by John Halewood in 1978 and remains owned and controlled by the Halewood family.
- General manager Chris Hotson
Aushi and Eroshan Meewella have opened Kolamba in London’s Soho, serving the Sri Lankan dishes with which they grew up. Recipes are handed down from family members or friends, and the restaurant has collaborated with Mr Lyan Studio for a signature cocktail.
- Covers 58
- Design Studio Fils and Whitebox London
- Typical dishes String hoppers; gotukola sambol; pol roti; beetroot curry; kalu pol pork
Hélène Darroze at the Connaught
Two-Michelin-starred Hélène Darroze at the Connaught has reopened after a two-month refurbishment, with a new 10-cover chef’s table, show kitchen and Armagnac room. The restaurant is celebrating 10 years of operation.
- Restaurant manager Mirko Benzo
- Typical dishes Wagyu beef, celeriac, beer, honey; turbot, clams, cocoa bean, girolle, seaweed
Please email your new openings to email@example.com
You need to create an account to read this article. It's free and only requires a few basic details.
Already subscribed? Log In