Number One Bruton and Osip
Boutique hotel Number One Bruton and Osip, a restaurant overseen by chef Merlin Labron-Johnson, have both opened at the same site in Bruton, Somerset.
The building (previously a neglected Georgian townhouse, adjoining cottages and medieval forge) has been transformed by first-time hoteliers Aled Rees and Claudia Waddams.
The hotel aspect features 12 bedrooms, including a Prince Charles suite designed by Frank & Faber designer Sarah Ellison.
Labron-Johnson – formerly executive chef of the Woodhead Restaurant Group, which included the Michelin-starred Portland and Clipstone in London – has opened the farm-totable restaurant on the ground floor of the site and named it after his middle name, which is taken from Russian poet Osip Mandelstam.
The venue also features a courtyard garden designed by garden expert Penelope Hobhouse.
- Opened 9 December
- Bedrooms 12
- Design Frank & Faber
- Typical dishes Crown Prince pumpkin soup, brown butter, fire-roasted chestnuts; Jerusalem artichoke, roast chicken juices, diver scallop
- Websiteswww.numberonebruton.com and www.osiprestaurant.com
400 Rabbits at the Lido
South London sourdough pizza and craft beer brand 400 Rabbits has opened its fourth site at Brockwell Lido in London’s Herne Hill. The concept sits within the Grade II-listed, art deco café space and has initially launched as a brunch destination, with plans to extend its opening hours next year.
- Typical dishes Portuguese eggs; green shakshuka; cheesy beans on sourdough; oat milk porridge; coconut and fig granola
The Feathers hotel in Ludlow is once again operational following a £2m refurbishment. Crest Hotels bought the Shropshire property in 2018 after it fell into administration following a fatal outbreak of Legionnaires’ disease. Half of the bedrooms have been refurbished, with the remaining 21 and Prince Charles function suite to reopen in the new year. The building has new plumbing throughout.
- Bedrooms 42
Gaucho Charlotte Street
Gaucho has opened its latest site in London’s Charlotte Street, with a new ‘Gaucho 2.0’ concept aiming to be more “socially and environmentally responsible”. The ethos and design, featuring earthy colours and leather booths, will be replicated across all 16 sites.
- Covers 128
- Design DesignLSM
- Typical dishes Ají amarillo spatchcock chicken; chateaubriand steaks; wild mushroom tagliatelle
Le Deli Robuchon
Following the opening of Le Comptoir Robuchon last month, Le Deli Robuchon has opened in London’s Piccadilly, led by executive chef Jeremy Page and his team, offering breakfast, lunch, supper and snacks with eat-in or takeaway options and a pâtisserie. Le Deli offers wines, teas, pastries and breads, as well as hot and cold sandwiches, salads, afternoon tea and cheese and charcuterie boards.
Studio 5ive has opened at London’s Troubadour Wembley Park Theatre, serving high-end modern British cuisine. The restaurant has a cocktail and wine bar and features blue velvet banquet seating.
- Covers 106
- Typical dishes Beef cheek, roasted carrots, dripping toast, beef liquor; baby chicken, slow-roasted mushroom, tomato, tarragon gravy
The Hyde restaurant has opened on the ground floor of the Roseate House London hotel in Westbourne Terrace, offering a sophisticated European-inspired menu.
- Covers 12
- Restaurant manager Julien Baudoux
- Executive chef Christos Siomadis
- Typical dishes Halibut, black ravioli, tiger prawn mousse, plankton, rice cracker; scallop ceviche, avocado sorbet
You need to create an account to read this article. It's free and only requires a few basic details.
Already subscribed? Log In