The Millennium Hotel London Mayfair has reopened following a £60m redevelopment as the Biltmore under Hilton's luxury LXR Hotels & Resorts brand, the first hotel under the brand in Europe. The redevelopment has seen a reduction in bedrooms (from 336 to 308), as well as Jason Atherton's hotly anticipated return to Grosvenor Square with the Betterment restaurant.
Atherton oversees all food and beverage at the hotel, including the Betterment, the Terrace, the Tea Lounge and the Pine Bar, as well as room service and events. The launch of the restaurant marks a return to the prestigious postcode for Atherton, who rose to prominence while launching Maze for the Gordon Ramsay Group at the London Marriott hotel in 2005.
- Opened 19 September
- Bedrooms 308
- Owner and operator Millennium & Copthorne Hotels
Italian restaurant Calici has opened in London's Belsize Park. Calici is co-founded by Andrea Casasola, ex-operations manager at Individual Restaurants Company, who has partnered with wine importing and distribution company True Terroir on the business.
- Covers 90
- Head chef Enzo Bucema
- Typical dishes Charcoal-grilled octopus, rocket and lemon dressing; linguine al ragù di coniglio
Julie's restaurant in London's Holland Park has reopened following a four-year closure for renovation. Chef-patron Shay Cooper is serving a seasonal, modern British menu.
- Owners Tim and Cathy Herring
- Typical dishes Salt marsh lamb, pressed cabbage, garlic potatoes, crisp lamb breast and preserved lemon; and roast Cornish cod, cuttlefish, bacon, and chicken and mushroom dressing
Kerb Seven Dials
Street food group Kerb has opened its first permanent home following the transformation of the 19th-century, 24,000 sq ft Thomas Neal's Warehouse in London's Seven Dials. The market will include vendors such as Nanban, Club Mexicana and Monty's Deli, and it has also partnered with the East London Liquor Company and the Gipsy Hill Brewing Company on its offering.
- Operator Kerb
The Wellington private members' club in London's St James's has opened the Wellington restaurant following its move from Knightsbridge. The restaurant offers a modern European menu designed by former executive chef of the Gaucho Group Brett Duarte.
- Executive chef Brett Duarte
- Typical dishes Crispy ox cheeks with jalapeño mayonnaise; acorn squash ravioli with sage, Parmesan, patty pan, hazelnuts and black truffle
Leila Lily's, a £1.5m bar, restaurant and nightclub on Newcastle's Grey Street, has opened. The site, also home to the Grey Street hotel and All About You spa, is owned by the Malhotra Group, which owns a portfolio of bars, hotels and restaurants across Tyneside.
- Owner The Malhotra Group
- Head chef Ronald Robson
- Typical dishes Black cod roasted in hoba leaf, miso, ponzu; parsnip gnocchi; celeriac risotto
Ramen chain Tonkotsu is opening its 11th restaurant, in London's Peckham, located in the new Market workspace. The restaurant features an open kitchen and bar, as well as murals hand-painted by artist Mr Christa.
- Covers 50
- Design Blenheim Design
- Founders Ken Yamada and Emma Reynolds
- Typical dishes Tonkotsu ramen; chicken hiyashi, ponzu dressing; shiitake and bamboo shoot gyoza
You need to create an account to read this article. It's free and only requires a few basic details.
Already subscribed? Log In