Career clinic

17 March 2005 by
Career clinic

The expert panel Our expert panel comprises representatives from the Hotel and Catering Training Company (HCTC), MaydayExec, Bartlett Mitchell, Learnpurple, Conran and Portfolio International.

The question
My partner and I want to run our own pub, and think moving into management would be the best way to get started. What training is required, and what legal matters are there to be considered?

Your best bet would be to get in touch with companies like Greene King or Spirit Group, which have excellent schemes for people to join the licensed trade as managers. Greene King's programme is specifically aimed at people with experience of other industries who want to move into pub management. You receive thorough training and achieve knowledge of legislation pertaining to your job.

Visit or Licensed retail professional association the British Institute of Innkeeping at offers recognised qualifications and is a good place to find out more about the industry.

The British Beer and Pub Association website at is also a valuable resource.
Johnny Johnson, communications manager, HCTC

If you'd like to submit a question, send it

The Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email

Start the working day with The Caterer’s free breakfast briefing email

Sign Up and manage your preferences below

Check mark icon
Thank you

You have successfully signed up for the Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email and will hear from us soon!

Jacobs Media Group is honoured to be the recipient of the 2020 Queen's Award for Enterprise.

The highest official awards for UK businesses since being established by royal warrant in 1965. Read more.


Ad Blocker detected

We have noticed you are using an adblocker and – although we support freedom of choice – we would like to ask you to enable ads on our site. They are an important revenue source which supports free access of our website's content, especially during the COVID-19 crisis.

trade tracker pixel tracking