Anthony Demetre and Will Smith's latest venture, Arbutus, has been named as London Newcomer of the Year in the latest Which? Good Food Guide, released today.
It caps a strong first year for the duo who have delighted the critics and were named Time Out's Best New London Restaurant at its Eating and Drinking awards last month.
London Restaurant of the Year went to Fergus Henderson's St John.
Glenapp Castle at Ballantre was revealed as Scotland Restaurant of the Year, while Cringletie House in Peebles claimed Best Newcomer under the direction of head chef Paul Hart, this year's Scottish Chefs Association's Hotel Chef of the Year.
Restaurant with rooms Tyddyn Llan in Llandrillo, run by former Hilaire chef Bryan Webb, was Wales Restaurant of the Year. Hardwick in Abergavenny was recognised as Wales Newcomer of the Year.
London maintained its status as the UK's culinary capital, with 333 entries in this year's guide, more than every other region combined. Second was Manchester with 26 entries, the same amount as in 2005. Third place Edinburgh with 22, up from 21 entries a year ago.
The Which? Good Food Guide can be ordered on 01903 828 557 or at www.which.co.uk/books
Regional special award winners
- Tyne & Wear Restaurant of the Year - Black Door, Newcastle upon Tyne
- Yorkshire Restaurant of the Year - Box Tree, Ilkley
- Warwickshire Newcomer of the Year - College Arms, Lower Quinton (due to a production error the restaurant is listed in the Guide with a score of 4, which should be 6)
- Buckinghamshire Restaurant of the Year - Danesfield House, Marlow
- Yorkshire Newcomer of the Year - Fox & Hounds, Goldsborough
- Bath Restaurant of the Year - Garrick's Head
- Cornwall Newcomer of the Year - Gurnard's Head, Treen
- Cumbria Restaurant of the Year - Holbeck Ghyll, Windermere
- Cambridgeshire Newcomer of the Year - Hole in the Wall, Little Wilbraham
- Devon Restaurant of the Year - Horn of Plenty, Tavistock
- Hampshire Restaurant of the Year - Montague Arms, Beaulieu
- Cornwall Restaurant of the Year - No 6, Padstow
- Bedfordshire Newcomer of the Year - Plough, Bolnhurst
- Kent Restaurant of the Year - Read's, Faversham
- Isle of Scilly Restaurant of the Year - St Martin's hotel, St Martin's