A Belgo restaurant in London has been fined £1,500 after a customer trapped a mouse with a pint glass as it scurried across the bar.
The customer complained to Camden Council after his encounter with the mouse at the restaurant chain's Kingsway premises in Holborn.
An inspection from the council's food safety team found evidence of mice in the kitchen, including droppings on the floor and other surfaces. Large amounts of dirt, grease and grime were also found in the food preparation areas.
Belgo (Bierdrome), of 67 Kingsway, London WC2 6TD was fined £1,500, £3,975 costs and a £15 victim surcharge at Highbury Magistrates Court on 17 March.
The Tragus-owned company, which has five restaurants in London, pleaded guilty to offences of having inadequate measures to control mice, and failure to keep a food premises clean.
Cllr Sue Vincent, cabinet member for environment, said: "Camden's food safety team inspect food businesses across the borough on a regular basis. By working with businesses the good news is that the majority of them comply with their legal requirements relating to food hygiene and safety. However, we will not hesitate to take legal proceedings against businesses when we find cases that endanger public health."
By Neil Gerrard
E-mail your comments to Neil Gerrard here.
If you have something to say on this story or anything else join the debate at Table Talk - Caterer's new networking forum. Go to www.caterersearch.com/tabletalk
Looking for a new job? Find your next job here with Caterersearch.com jobs