Bombay Palace restaurant in London's Connaught Street has claimed more than £1m in damages from cleaning group ISS following a fire in 2001.
Readymight, which trades as the Bombay Palace restaurant alleges that the blaze, which gutted the building and saw the 130-seat venue close for five months, was caused by a faulty installation in one of the kitchen's ventilation hoods.
The company, who lodged the claim in the High Court last month, claims that ISS failed to install a grease collection drawer, which caused fat to accumulate in the filter that then leaked onto the gas burner below and ignited.
Bombay Palace is claiming that this represented negligence on the part of ISS and was in breach of Heating and Ventilating Contractors' Association recommendations.
The claim includes more than £290,589 for loss of earnings and £442,613 for repair work.
Neither party was available for comment.
By Tom Bill
Get your copy of Caterer and Hotelkeeper every week - click here to subscribe and save 25%.
|Sudoku Join the craze and play Sudoku online!|