An Indian restaurant in Shoreham near Brighton has been fined more than £5,000 for breaching food hygiene regulations.
The Curry Place on Shoreham High Street was found guilty on seven counts of food hygiene offences when it appeared at Worthing Magistrates Court last week.
Breaches included failing to keep the kitchen clean and in good repair, leaving high risk foods out at dangerous temperatures and putting the public in danger of food poisoning.
Adur District Council, which brought the case against restaurant owner Amin Ullah, said: "On one of my visits I found bowls of cooked rice and cooked chicken left standing uncovered in the kitchen at risk of contamination from flying insects."
In his defence, Ullah told the court he now planned to increase the size of the kitchens to cope with his increased workload and would act on the council's recommendations.
By Emily Manson
E-mail your comments to Emily Manson here.