The restaurant chain was fined £8,500 and ordered to pay £3,910 in legal costs after the Bath and North East Somerset Council's health and safety team said it had failed to provide adequate training and supervision at the restaurant.
A chef at the restaurant was hospitalised after boiling cooking oil was spilt over her feet during the pre-opening training period of Jamie's Italian in Bath last October.
Head chef Angie Hodkinson-Day had asked one of her kitchen workers to dispose of two 25-litre containers of hot oil when one of them slipped and spilled over her feet. She was rushed to hospital where she spent 10 days and received skin grafts to her left foot.
According to the Bath Chronicle, the court heard that Hodgkinson-Day, who had just arrived at the Bath restaurant having spent the previous two weeks at the chain's Oxford branch, had not received any health and safety training before the accident.
A spokesman for Jamie's Italian said: "Jamie's Italian accepts full responsibility for the accident and apologises to the chef concerned. New staff training is in place to prevent such accidents in future."
By Kerstin Kuhn
E-mail your comments to Kerstin Kuhn here.
If you have something to say on this story or anything else join the debate at Table Talk - Caterer's new networking forum. Go to www.caterersearch.com/tabletalk
Looking for a new job? Find your next restaurant job here with Caterersearch.com jobs