A Leeds restaurant has been fined £750 and ordered to pay another £1,250 in costs after an unsuspecting customer found a cockroach in their pizza.
The Munchies takeaway at 21 Harehills Road in Leeds was closed down on 22 August 2012 by environmental health officials after they were called in to investigate how the bug had come to be baked into the pizza.
The environmental health officers who found a major cockroach infestation throughout the premises. The insects had invaded all areas of the takeaway, including food preparation areas.
Various utensils and bits of equipment used to store, prepare and cook food were found to be in a filthy condition. Cooking pans were found with dead cockroaches covering and inside them.
They found a significant build-up of food debris with dirt sticking to the floors, walls and work units. The floor of the walk-in chiller was also covered in a layer of "organic matter".
Councillor Mark Dobson, executive member for the environment, said: "Munchies took the idea of a stuffed crust pizza to a whole new level.
"It beggars belief that any business owner could knowingly allow conditions to get so bad and put the health of unsuspecting members of the public at such risk.
"Our environmental health officers can offer their wealth of experience and expertise on all aspects of food safety to help businesses keep on the right side of the law.
"However, where businesses fail, we can and will prosecute to ensure the safety of residents."
Magistrates branded the episode "a stomach churning horror story" and ordered Munchies owner Matloob Hussein to pay £750 and ordered him to pay £1,250 in costs.
Munchies' current food hygiene rating is '1' - major improvement necessary, based on an inspection in March 2013.
Environmental health officers continue to advise the business.