London restaurant Canteen was named best UK restaurant in the annual Observer Food Monthly awards.
The Spitafields-based eatery beat off strong competition, including Gordon Ramsay's Mayfair venue Maze, to win the award, which was presented at a ceremony hosted by Ramsay in London last night.
While most of the winners were chosen by the Observer Food Monthly's readers, the award for best newcomer was decided by a panel of judges including Nigel Slater and Giorgio Locatelli, who awarded eco-friendly training restaurant Acorn House in London with the prize.
Full list of winners at the Observer Food Monthly award:
- Best Restaurant: Canteen, London
- Best Newcomer: Acorn House, London
- Best Breakfast: Rocotillos, Bristol
- Best Vegetarian Restaurant: Café Maitreya
- Best Bar: Pintxo People, Brighton
- Best Location, Jamie Oliver's Fifteen Cornwall
- Best Book: Nigel Slater's "The Kitchen Diaries"
- Best TV Programme: The F Word
By Kerstin Kühn
E-mail your comments to Kerstin Kuhn here.