Mark Sargeant's Folkestone-based restaurant Rocksalt has received a hygiene rating of two after inspectors deemed certain cooking procedures "unsafe".
Environmental Health officers thought that guests were at risk of food poisoning due to chicken liver being cooked at 70ºC instead of 75ºC and served pink.
The report said: "I noted some cooking procedures that could lead to an unsafe product. Chicken liver pate is cooked in the combi-oven. Core temperature is monitored using a probe and the product is considered cooked when it reaches 70ºC. The time temperature combination for thorough cooking is 70ºC held for two minutes."
It has since scored it ‘poor' for food hygiene and safety and said ‘Improvement is necessary'.
On his Instagram, Sargeant said: "After many years of holding five stars we have been dropped down to two stars. I must tell you that the actual inspection part of the visit from the EHO lasted 2 minutes and that the score was altered purely on a conversation the inspector had with my head chef. We know that food guidelines are there to help us, but in any professional kitchen such as ours they are a normal part of our job.
"We also know that you're no longer allowed to serve burgers rare and indeed the law has now deemed that we can't enjoy a steak tartare without searing the outside first and then scraping it off before chopping it up! Now it appears that we are no longer allowed to cook chicken livers pink! A well done chicken liver is like eating rancid, crumbly paste but according to the powers that be it is how we should consume them!
"I have nothing to hide on this matter. A shame mainly for my staff, who work so very very hard to maintain the best standards. Let's hope we get our surprise inspection soon and get back up to five again."
Videos from The Caterer archives