National Chef of the Year Russell Bateman is set to run a pop-up restaurant at London's Selfridges next week as part of the department store's Meet the Chefs series.
Bateman, who is head chef of Collette's restaurant at the Grove hotel in Chandler's Cross, Hertfordshire, will be cooking at the Corner restaurant and Champagne bar on 21 and 22 September.
Clare Smyth from Restaurant Gordon Ramsay and former boss Daniel Clifford from Midsummer House in Cambridge, will introduce the dinner on the first night, while Phil Howard from the Square and Alyn Williams from his eponymous restaurant at the Westbury hotel will kick off proceedings on day two.
Bateman's menu is as follows:
- Pork sandwich
- A crisp baked potato foam, caviar, poached egg yolk and chives
- Diver-caught scallop and apple tartare, oyster panna cotta, chilled celeriac consommé, coastal herbs
- Roasted veal sweetbreads, garam masala, black garlic, girolles and Scottish girolles
- Exotic fruits, roast cashew nuts, fromage frais mousse
- ‘Rocky Road', dense cake, ganache, marshmallows, almond tuiles, whipped white chocolate, fig ice-cream
- Hot madeleine served with chilled Jurançon milk chocolate, grapefruit and Indonesian pepper
The Meet the Chefs line-up concludes with James Lowe, from Lyle's restaurant in Shoreditch, whose menu on 27 September will be:
- Raw Hereford rib, potato & cured mullet roe
- Pumpkin, buttermilk & cobnuts
- Puffball mushroom, Burford brown egg & wild rocket
- Mallard, Lancelot plums & girolles
- Fig leaf ice-cream & preserved figs
Tickets for both events can be booked at www.selfridges.com/MeetTheMakers
Russell Bateman took the title of National Chef of the Year last October and the countdown to the 2015 final has entered its last leg, with the competition set to conclude with a cook-off on 6 October.
The 2015 National Chef of the Year finalists
- Andrew Ditchfield, pastry chef, House of Commons
- Paul Foster, head chef, Mallory Court
- Adam Handling, head chef, Adam Handling at Caxton
- Mark Kempson, head chef, Kitchen W8
- Luciano Lucioli
- Lawrence McCarthy, sous chef, the Ledbury restaurant
- Martin Carabott, sous chef, the Royal Automobile Club
- Larry Jayasekara, sous chef, Gordon Ramsay Group