PizzaExpress Restaurants has been fined £200,000 after a worker was left paralysed in an accident in a Soho restaurant.
Southwark Crown Court heard that kitchen porter Kamil Pisarek, then aged 28, was working in the company's Kettner's site in 2011, helping to carry a 26-stone cupboard up a back staircase, when he fell five metres through a window on to the pavement outside.
He suffered spinal injuries that left him permanently tetraplegic, as reported in the London Evening Standard.
The company admitted it had failed to protect the health, safety and welfare of one of its employees, and was fined £200,000 plus £58,453 in costs.
PizzaExpress Restaurants was not available to comment at the time of writing.
Latest video from The Caterer