Jacobs Media Group is honoured to be the recipient of the 2020 Queen's Award for Enterprise.

Restaurant fined £8,000 after 200 fall ill at party

27 January 2016 by
Restaurant fined £8,000 after 200 fall ill at party

A south London restaurant has been ordered to pay out £8,000 after more than 200 people who went to a party there fell ill.

Spiceland in west Croydon was accused of ignoring basic food safety practices after hundreds of people were unwell following a religious ceremony held there.

The failings came to light after the organisers of the event contacted Croydon Council's environmental health department in December 2014.

Only a month earlier, inspectors found the restaurant to be at the highest risk rating after uncovering a number of hygiene problems which required immediate attention.

Inspectors then visited the restaurant several days after the party and found failings in the standards required by a food business, according to the London Evening Standard.

The kitchen walls, floor and ceiling were found to be dirty and damaged in several areas and the council said kitchen staff were "ignorant of basic food safety practices", handling food without washing their hands.

The hand wash basin was found to be unusable as it was filled with dirty cloths and utensils, the freezer was overstocked and food spillages were found all over the walk-in fridge.

The restaurant was served with two hygiene improvement notices and six out of 10 food samples and surface swabs were found to be unsatisfactory.

A further inspection in January 2015 found that while some improvements had been made, the restaurant continued to fall short of compliance.

The restaurant's owner, Sivapathasundaram Premanathan, admitted a string of hygiene offences in his and the company's name at Croydon Magistrates' Court on 12 January.

Councillor Mark Watson, cabinet member for communities, safety and justice, said : "This restaurateur, despite a number of warnings from our food safety officers, failed to ensure that right and proper hygiene standards were in place, and that his staff were aware of their obligations; now he's paid the price in the eyes of the law."

Woman awarded £250,000 in damages after chicken liver food poisoning >>Wetherspoon and Pret a Manger top food hygiene rankings >>

Costa Coffee ordered to improve hygiene after 'rotting mouse' found >>Are you looking for a new role? See all the current restaurant vacancies available with The Caterer Jobs >>

Latest video from The Caterer

The Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email

Start the working day with The Caterer’s free breakfast briefing email

Sign Up and manage your preferences below

Check mark icon
Thank you

You have successfully signed up for the Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email and will hear from us soon!

Jacobs Media Group is honoured to be the recipient of the 2020 Queen's Award for Enterprise.

The highest official awards for UK businesses since being established by royal warrant in 1965. Read more.


Ad Blocker detected

We have noticed you are using an adblocker and – although we support freedom of choice – we would like to ask you to enable ads on our site. They are an important revenue source which supports free access of our website's content, especially during the COVID-19 crisis.

trade tracker pixel tracking