Salmonella found at restaurant where health inspectors fell ill

02 December 2013 by
Salmonella found at restaurant where health inspectors fell ill

The bug that caused a group of Leicester City Council health inspectors to fall ill after a night out at a popular Indian restaurant was salmonella.

The Leicester Mercury reported that the council's food safety team took 49 samples from the kitchen at Kayal in Grandby Street, Leicester, after 19 people reported feeling unwell after eating there over a two-week period in November.

The restaurant, which has enjoyed a five-star score under the Food Hygiene Rating Scheme, closed pending the investigation.

It has since reopened.

The salmonella was present in only one sample, a chutney that is prepared fresh on the premises each day.

Owner Jaimon Thomas told the paper: "Because of the findings, we have stopped making fresh chutney in the way that we always have for the past eight years. Customer safety is our top priority.

"I want to thank all the customers who contacted me to give us support, and we are determined to restore our reputation."

Leicester restaurant closed after health inspectors fall ill on night out >>

The Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email

Start the working day with The Caterer’s free breakfast briefing email

Sign Up and manage your preferences below

Check mark icon
Thank you

You have successfully signed up for the Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email and will hear from us soon!

Jacobs Media Group is honoured to be the recipient of the 2020 Queen's Award for Enterprise.

The highest official awards for UK businesses since being established by royal warrant in 1965. Read more.


Ad Blocker detected

We have noticed you are using an adblocker and – although we support freedom of choice – we would like to ask you to enable ads on our site. They are an important revenue source which supports free access of our website's content, especially during the COVID-19 crisis.

trade tracker pixel tracking