Selfridges has apologised after dead mice dropped out of a ventilating shaft and into a dining area at its Birmingham store.
The shocked diners were enjoying lunch at the Noodle Bar and the Pretzel Bar at the store when at least half a dozen mice dropped on to the floor near them.
The dining area was immediately shut and refunds were given to guests.
An investigation by staff then showed that some days previously mice droppings had been discovered in a back of house area and that a pest control firm had been called in.
It is believed that the mice that dropped out of the ventilation system had been poisoned by the pest controllers.
A Selfridges spokesman said: "We are very sorry for any distress caused by what happened.
"Environmental health officers were called in to make sure the matter was dealt with and doesn't happen again. At their recommendation we have now identified areas the mice may have been coming in and had those blocked off."
No further problems have been reported and the dining area has since re-opened.
By Andrew Smith
E-mail your comments to Chris Druce here.
Looking for a new job? Find your next restaurant job here with Caterersearch.com jobs