Study finds ‘unacceptable levels of bacteria' in restaurant and takeaway kitchens

15 September 2010 by
Study finds ‘unacceptable levels of bacteria' in restaurant and takeaway kitchens

More than half of cleaning cloths used in restaurant and take-away kitchens contain too much bacteria, a new study has revealed.

Research by the Health Protection Agency (HPA) published today to tie in with its annual conference at the University of Warwick found that from 133 cloths used for the sample, from 120 establishments in the North-east of England, 56% contained unacceptable levels of bacteria. The most common were Enterobacteriaceae (found on 86 cloths) E. coli (21 cloths), Staphylococcus aureus (six cloths) and Listeria (five cloths).

The HPA recommends that cloths used in kitchens should be changed or disinfected frequently to stop bacteria growing, which could cause food poisoning. Any breakdown in these procedures means that bacteria can be spread from the cloths to the hands of catering staff and then spread to work surfaces and equipment.

Where kitchens prepare both raw and ready-to-eat foods, there should be separate cloths for both areas to reduce the risk of spread of bacteria.

Although the recommended advice for restaurants is to use disposable cloths that are changed regularly, the study found that only a third (32%) of the catering premises reviewed did this. The remaining two-thirds (68%) used re-usable cloths and 15% were unsure as to how often these were replaced.

One of the most important factors in reducing the spread of bacteria around the kitchen is to separate cloths used for raw and ready-to-eat food areas but the research found that 24 cloths had been used between these two areas.

The researchers also found that there was no consistent approach to disinfection of re-usable cloths or in the method of disinfection. The majority disinfected their re-usable cloths every 10-24 hours but a number left it longer than 24 hours and some didn't know how often cloths were disinfected.

Dr John Piggott, the lead author from the HPA's Food, Water and Environmental Microbiology laboratory in Leeds, said: "It's of concern that despite recommendations to use disposable cloths, the majority of restaurants we surveyed were re-using cleaning cloths and some were unaware how often they changed them.

"Although many disinfected their cloths using bleach or other disinfectants, soaking does not remove the food on which the bacteria grow. The disinfectant qualities of bleach do wear off after a period of time so soaking large amounts of cloths together can result in bacteria contaminating more cloths and creating more potential problems."

Wedding guest dies from salmonella poisoning >>

FSA to roll out new hygiene rating scheme >>

How to prepare for food safety inspection >>

<span class=""noindex"">By Chris Druce

E-mail your comments to Caterer News here.

If you have something to say on this story or anything else join the debate at Table Talk - Caterer's new networking forum. Go to jobs
Looking for a new job? Find your next job here with jobs

[Newsletters For the latest hospitality news, sign up for our e-mail newsletters.
The Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email

Start the working day with The Caterer’s free breakfast briefing email

Sign Up and manage your preferences below

Check mark icon
Thank you

You have successfully signed up for the Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email and will hear from us soon!

Jacobs Media Group is honoured to be the recipient of the 2020 Queen's Award for Enterprise.

The highest official awards for UK businesses since being established by royal warrant in 1965. Read more.


Ad Blocker detected

We have noticed you are using an adblocker and – although we support freedom of choice – we would like to ask you to enable ads on our site. They are an important revenue source which supports free access of our website's content, especially during the COVID-19 crisis.

trade tracker pixel tracking