A woman who died after eating a meal at Manchester burger restaurant Almost Famous is thought to have told staff about her food allergies before eating there, an inquest has heard.
Initial tests showed that Shahida Shahid, 18, died as a result of brain damage caused by a severe allergic reaction, according to the Manchester Evening News.
Shahid is thought to have been advised by staff at the restaurant in the Great Northern Warehouse off Deansgate that a chicken dish would be appropriate given the allergies she had.
However, Detective Inspector Chris Flint told the opening of her inquest at Manchester Coroner's Court that the dish is thought to have contained or been cooked in one of the ingredients she was allergic to.
The Manchester University maths student collapsed within an hour of leaving the restaurant and died three days later.
The news comes in the wake of new European regulations, introduced in December 2014, that require restaurant businesses to alert customers to the presence of 14 allergens anywhere on their menu.
A survey in December by Caternet claimed that only one third of food and beverage managers were 100% ready for the changes.
The regulations, which require businesses to identify, record and clearly communicate the presence of any of 14 allergens in a dish or drink, aim to provide the public with better information about what they are eating and drinking.
NHS figures estimate that around 2% of the population are food allergy sufferers, with 20% of people believing they suffer from some sort of food allergy.