The Cod's Scallops in Wollaton, Nottingham, has been crowned the 2020 Fish and Chip Shop of the Year at the National Fish & Chip Awards.
Owned by John and Helen Molnar (pictured), the Cod's Scallops beat off competition from nine other shortlisted finalists to be crowned the UK's best fish and chip shop, an award that has led to previous champions doubling their turnover in the 12 months following the announcement.
The annual competition celebrates excellence in the fish and chip industry and is organised by Seafish, the public body that supports the £10b UK seafood industry.
Entrants are judged on the food they cook and serve, sustainability, menu innovation, catering for special dietary requirements, customer service and marketing activity.
The judges found that the Cod's Scallops consistently excelled in all these areas throughout an intensive eight-month judging period, which included multiple mystery shop visits and a final presentation to a panel of industry experts.
John Molnar said: "We're absolutely thrilled to be crowned the UK's best fish and chip shop! It's an honour to take home such a prestigious title, especially being up against the country's top establishments. Our experience in the National Fish & Chip Awards has been an incredible journey and we've loved every minute of it. It's a brilliant achievement for the team at the Cod's Scallops and we are so proud of everyone for their efforts.
"Entering the awards has taught us so much about our business as well as the fish and chip industry and we would encourage other operators to get involved. We want to thank everyone who has supported us along the way as well as our customers who we value beyond measure. Without them buying fish and chips every week, we wouldn't be here. What a way to start 2020 and we can't wait to see what the future brings."
Marcus Coleman, chief executive at Seafish, added: "We'd like to offer huge congratulations to the Cod's Scallops for taking home the title of Fish and Chip Shop of the Year at the National Fish & Chip Awards 2020. As well as serving up outstanding fish and chips, they demonstrated real passion and enthusiasm for the industry every step of the way. Their final presentation was incredible, and they are truly deserving winners."
Full list of winners are as follows:
- Fish and Chip Shop of the Year Award: The Cod's Scallops, Wollaton, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire
- Best Fish and Chip Restaurant Award: Trenchers Restaurant, Spanish City, Whitley Bay
- Best Newcomer Award: Lewis's Fish & Grill, Maidstone, Kent
- NFFF Quality Award Champion: The Real Food Café, Tydrum, Stirlingshire
- Best Seafood Week Campaign Award: Penaluna's Famous Fish & Chips, Hirwaun, Aberdare
- Best Foodservice Operator Award: Mary Lambert Artisan Bakery, Hartlepool, County Durham
- Menu Development and Innovation Award: Fish City Belfast, Belfast
- Marketing Innovation Award: Shap Chippy, Shap, Penrith
- From Field to Frier Award: Fish & Chips @ Weston Grove, Upton, Chester
- Good Catch Award: Fish & Chips @ Weston Grove, Upton, Chester
- Staff Training and Development Award: The Wetherby Whaler, Yorkshire
- Drywite Young Fish Frier of the Year: Charlie Collins, Frydales, Leicester, Leicestershire
- Best Mobile Operator Award: The English Indian, Lichfield, Staffordshire
- Best Multiple Operator Award: Sutton & Sons, London
- Seasonal UK Seafood Award: Something Else Fishy, Milborne Port, Sherborne
- Outstanding Achievement Award: Richard Ord, Colmans of South Shields, Tyne and Wear