What does this job involve?
- Taking responsibility for all aspects of the operation of the pub
- Recruiting and training staff
- Ordering stock from suppliers and handling deliveries
- Drawing up a marketing plan and handling promotions
- Making sure that the customers are satisfied
- Producing financial reports
What skills and attributes do I need?
- Personnel skills
- Communication skills
- Marketing skills
- Finance skills
- Customer service skills
- You need to be friendly and out-going
- The long, unsociable hours mean that you need to be hard-working and flexible
- Good physical fitness and good health is important
- The ability to keep calm and even-tempered with awkward and sometimes drunk customers is vital
- Knowledge of licensing legislation and hygiene, health and safety laws
How can I get this job?
There are a number of courses available from colleges, universities and various organisations.
Some large pub companies and breweries offer in-house training.