At the request of the National Vegetarian Society which co-ordinates the week, the [Cordon Vert](http://www.cordonvert.co.uk/cv08/cv.aspx) cookery school has devised a seven-step plan to help caterers make a success of the week, which runs from 23 to 29 May and is sponsored by [Cauldron Foods](http://www.cauldronfoods.co.uk).
Their top tips are:
1. Say Cheese! Make sure your cheese is vegetarian - did you know Parmesan is never vegetarian?
2. Sort out your store cupboard Check out hidden ingredients and find out what is veggie or not, it might surprise you.
3. Control cross contamination in your kitchen or front of house.
4. Offer a choice - not an option.
5. Get inspired Visit the Cordon Vert Cookery School or take a look at our [online recipe collection](http://www.cordonvert.co.uk/cv08/cv.aspx?page=77).
6. Cook something you have never served before - have you tried tofu, quinoa, tempeh or polenta?
7. Shout loud and invite everyone to try the veggie dishes on your menu.
With misconceptions rife about what vegetarianism means, it also worth remembering that vegetarians do not eat any meat, poultry, game, fish, shellfish, crustacean or slaughter by-products.
To help promote your vegetarian week offer, the Vegetarian Society can provide a free caterer's pack of promotional materials that includes A3 posters (including a version with a blank space for your own selling message), a landscape banner and a display holding containing 25 x A6 booklets. For full details, call 0161 925 2000 or visit [www.vegsoc.org/caterers](http://www.vegsoc.org/caterers.).
More vegetarian recipes can be found on the [National Vegetarian Week](http://www.nationalvegetarianweek.org/page.aspx?pid=1051) and the [Vegetarian Society](http://www.recipes.vegsoc.org/) websites.
â- [Table Table, the Whitbread chain that operates more than 100 pub-restaurants across the UK, has worked closely with its supplies to achieve Vegetarian Society Approval for its newly-launched range of vegetarian dishes.
They include Whole Wheat Pasta with Pesto; Spring Vegetable Risotto; Spinach & Ricotta Canneloni; Stilton, Shallot & Toasted Walnut Tart; and a Pear & Walnut Salad with Blacksticks Blue Cheese.