FENNEL AND CORIANDER TATIN (serves 4)
A delicious twist on the classic French apple dessert, Tarte Tatin. This savoury tart with fennel and coriander is also served upside down!
â- 1 Tbs Oil
â- 4 Fennel Bulbs, cut into 1cm thick slices
â- 1 Large Onion, thinly sliced
â- 1 tsp Orange Zest
â- Juice of 1 Orange
â- 1 tsp Schwartz for Chef Chopped Garlic in Oil
â- 3 Tbs Honey
â- 2 tsp Fresh Coriander, chopped
â- 25g (1oz) Unsalted Butter
â- 1 Tbs Balsamic Vinegar
â- 1 Tbs Caster Sugar
â- 1 sheet of ready-made puff pastry
1. Pre-heat the oven to 220ËC, 425ËF, Gas Mark 7.
2. Heat the oil in a pan and gently sweat the fennel and onion until they are softened, do not brown.
3. Add the orange zest, juice and garlic, season to taste, and then add enough water to cover the fennel. Cook on a medium-high heat until the water has completely evaporated and the fennel is soft.
4. Add the coriander to the fennel and carefully stir in. Drizzle over the honey and allow it to caramelise slightly in the pan, and then remove from the heat.
5. Generously butter a 9-10"pie dish. Drizzle with the balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with sugar.
6. Arrange the pieces of fennel in the dish, cover with the puff pastry, then prick with a fork. Trim away the excess pastry allowing a rim of 2cm, then tuck snugly around the fennel inside the pie dish.
7. Cook for 30 minutes in the oven, until the pastry has risen and is firm and golden. Remove from the oven, invert a plate over the top and turn out the tart.
Serve with a coriander pesto made by blending the following together:
â- 2 Tbs Fresh coriander
â- 1 Tbs Orange Juice
â- Â½ tsp Schwartz for Chef Chopped Garlic in Oil
â- 1 pinch Schwartz for Chef Crushed Chillies
â- 2 Tbs Flaked Almonds, chopped
â- 1 Tbs Olive Oil and Schwartz for Chef Sea Salt and Black Pepper to season
LEMON CORIANDER AND FENNEL RISOTTO (serves 4)
A deliciously creamy risotto with the zesty flavours of lemon and coriander leaf, paired with the aromatic anise flavour of fennel
Ingredients â- 2 Tbs Oil
â- 1 Small Onion, finely diced
â- 1 Head Fennel, finely sliced, reserving tops for garnish
â- 250g (9oz) Risotto Rice
â- 125ml (4fl oz) White Wine
â- Juice of 1 Lemon
â- 900ml (1Â½ pints) Chicken Stock
â- 50ml (2fl oz) Double Cream
â- 1 Tbs Coriander Leaf, freshly chopped
â- 25g (1oz) Butter (optional)
â- 25g (1oz) Parmesan Cheese, grated
1. Heat the oil in a pan and gently fry the onions and fennel for 2 minutes, until they begin to soften.
2. Add the risotto rice and cook for another 2 minutes until the grains begin to turn translucent.
3. Add the white wine and the lemon juice, bring to a simmer and cook until absorbed.
4. Stir in the chicken stock, a ladleful at a time, until all the stock has been absorbed and the rice is cooked, stirring frequently.
5. Stir in the cream, coriander and butter and serve, finished with grated Parmesan and garnished with the fennel tops.
Schwart forecasts top flavour pairings for 2011 >>
http://www.caterersearch.com/Articles/2011/05/30/338354/Schwartz-Flavour-Pairing-Challenge-winners-announced.htm" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer">Schwartz Flavour Pairing Challenge winners announced >>