A mobile ordering and payment service for bars, pubs and restaurants scooped the top prize in the Star Product Awards at The Hospitality Show today.
Orderella by Orderella turns a smartphone into a mobile waiter via an innovative app. Hospitality operators are able to manage orders on a cloud-based platform, eliminating the need for cash or card payments.
Orderella was one of 10 products selected as the ‘best of the best' among the scores of new products in the food and drink industry showcased by exhibitors at Birmingham's NEC.
The overall winner was announced at the Business Briefing Stage by judges Amanda Afiya, editor of The Caterer, and Carl Weldon, chief executive of HOSPA, the Hospitality Professionals Association.
The judges praised the high standard and diversity of the Top 10 products and decided to make highly commended awards to two entries - Gram UK's SuperiorPlus 72 refrigeration cabinet and the Venta modular buffet system by Signature FSE.
Dennis Collet (pictured), CEO and co-founder of London-based Orderella, said he was delighted to win recognition for the revolutionary ordering and payment platform, which was launched in October 2013.
Orderella is now live in 180 venues in the UK and Ireland including pubs, bars, stadiums and theatres. It is also being used by student unions, an area Collet is targeting for growth due to the buying habits of students, who embrace smartphone technology.
Collet said: "There are 600 student unions with seven million customers. Students are tech-savvy but you don't have to be to use Orderella. Our oldest customer is 65."
Customers download the Orderella app and then check in on arrival at the venue. They can then download the menu and place their order using a table number (or collect at the bar). At the end of the meal, secure payment can be made via the app using PayPal or debit/credit card. "We take the payment hassle out of the equation," said Collet.
Orderella costs operators £249 a month including training, menu setup, credit card fees and 24/7 IT support.
The 10 best products are on display throughout the show, which ends on Wednesday. All the finalists received a certificate from Toby Wand, managing director of show organiser Fresh Montgomery.
The top 10 products were:
• KREBS hotCHOC LM3 by Walsh Direct An insulated chocolate spray gun for professional chocolatiers, developed in conjunction with Barry Callebaut.
• Vanilla Macaroon Shells by Coup de Pates Large vanilla-flavoured semi-prepared thaw and serve shells.
• Sirmione Double Rocks Glass by Cosi Tabellini UK A traditional rocks glass, also known as a Lowball or Old Fashioned glass, with a wide brim and pewter base.
• Orderella by Orderella Mobile ordering and payment service that turns a smartphone into a mobile waiter.
• Horse Radish Shoots by Westlands A creamy white versatile shoot with a subtle horseradish flavour.
• Zumex Soul by Jestic Foodservice Equipment A compact and versatile juicer that combines quality design with a simple pushbutton operation. Capable of producing a fresh 25cl juice every 15 seconds.
• getWaiter! By Geniusin a waiter-calling and customer feedback app for bars, hotels and restaurants, which allows customers to call the waiter, request more drinks and ask for the bill using their phone.
• VENTA modular buffet system by Signature FSE A space and energy-saver that includes induction tables, ideal for hotels and restaurants in need of practical buffet display equipment.
• CultBay by Cultuzz UK & Ireland CultBay works with hotels using bespoke software that integrates with eBay to sell packages and offers via eBay vouchers.
• SuperiorPlus 72 by Gram UK Refrigeration cabinet with a revolutionary design and groundbreaking technology that makes for marked reductions in energy consumption.