Prep time 15 mins
Cooking time 1 hour 30 mins
- Preheat the oven to 180C (350F/Gas 4).
- Place the sliced aubergines in a bowl with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and coat well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil and lay in the aubergines in batches and fry for 3-4 minutes on each side until slightly golden-brown.
- Remove the excess oil on kitchen paper.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to the pan and cook the onion, garlic and chilli until soft and translucent.
- Leave to simmer for 20 minutes and prepare the topping.
- Make up a traditional white sauce with the Kerrymaid Original. Season with salt, pepper and add Kerrymaid Grated and nutmeg.
- Allow to simmer on the lowest heat for a few minutes.
- Make up the moussaka in a large ovenproof dish 30cm x 20cm with the ragÁ¹ mixture on the bottom, followed by a layer of the potatoes, then aubergine, then sliced tomatoes.
- Add more ragÁ¹ and repeat the process, finishing with a layer of ragu. Finish with the white sauce over the top. Place in a hot oven for 1 hour.
- Serve in the middle of the table with a large green salad.
600g minced lamb/ can also use braised and shredded shoulder of lamb if you prefer
400g aubergines, sliced into 5mm-thick rounds
6 tbsp olive oil
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
1 red chilli, finely chopped
3 tsp ground cumin
3 tsp ground coriander
a small pinch of ground cinnamon or 1 cinnamon stick (optional)
2 tbsp tomato purée
2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes or 600ml passata
400g waxy potatoes, peeled and cut into 5mm-thick slices
4 large tomatoes, sliced into thin slices
For the topping 30g Kerrymaid Original
30g plain flour
100g Kerrymaid Grated
a pinch of nutmeg