The UK's top 10 fish and chip shops have been announced by the 2017 National Fish & Chip Awards, organised by Seafish.
• Fochabers Fish Bar in Fochabers, Moray (Scotland)
• Hennighan's Top Shop in Machynlleth, Powys (Wales)
• The Dolphin Takeaway in Dungannon, County Tyrone (Northern Ireland)
• Miller's Fish and Chips in Haxby, North Yorkshire (North East England)
• Hodgson's Chippy in Lancaster, Lancashire (North West England)
• Oldswinford Fish & Chips in Dudley, Stourbridge (Midlands)
• Burton Road Chippy in Lincoln, Lincolnshire (Eastern England)
• Henley's of Wivenhoe in Wivenhoe, Colchester (London & South East England)
• Godfrey's Fish and Chips in Harpenden, Hertfordshire (Central & Southern England)
• Kingfisher Fish and Chips in Plympton, Plymouth (South & West England)
To secure a position on the list, contenders have had to fry at the top of their game, facing appraisal by industry experts across a variety of criteria including menu development and innovation, sustainable sourcing policies, staff training processes, and marketing and promotional activities.
They have also received mystery shopping assessments to ascertain customer service levels and the quality of fish and chips, along with in-depth judging audits to appraise a wide range of criteria including ingredient storage and preparation processes, cleanliness and integrity of shop equipment and observation of cooking practices.
The finlalists will now face a final judging round in front of a specialist judging panel and quizzed on a diverse range of industry related topics and be required to demonstrate how they successfully run a profitable business and plan for future development.
The final judging stage will determine the overall national winner to be announced at an awards ceremony on 26 January 2017.