In today's busy kitchen you need equipment that's fast, easy to use and enables you to multitask. Whether you're making pizza dough, pastry, mayonnaise, beating egg whites and cream, mashing potato or creaming fat and sugar, a mixer is the ultimate labour-saving device and a vital workhorse in every kitchen.
Hobart's planetary action mixers range from the N50, which will make almost 2kg of cake mixture, right up to the V1401, which handles more than 70kg at a time. The largest in the range was used by Skoda to prepare all the cake mixture needed to create the car built out of cake that features in the company's current television commercial (pictured below).
The advert for the new Fabia, with the tag "full of lovely stuff", shows a team of workers baking everything from wheels and wing mirrors to car seats and headlights.
Creating the car took 10kg of white chocolate chunks, 3kg of orange peel strips, 12.5kg of raspberry jam, 100kg of wheat flour, 100kg of caster sugar, 50kg of icing sugar, 20kg of glacâ cherries, 30kg of brown almonds, 20kg of raisins, 25kg of dried apricots, 5kg of cocoa powder, 180 fresh eggs and 42kg of chocolate fudge.
While it's unlikely you'll be making enough cake mixture to build a car, Buy It! has teamed up with Hobart to offer readers the chance to win an N50 portable bench mixer worth about £2,000.
How to enter One lucky reader who can answer the question below correctly will win this amazing prize. All entries must be submitted on a postcard by 15 July. Entrants should include their name, job title, company name and address and contact telephone number. Send entries to Hobart/Buy It! Mixer Competition, Caterer and Hotelkeeper, Quadrant House, The Quadrant, Sutton, Surrey SM2 5AS.
How many eggs were used to make the Skoda car?
The N50 is a portable bench mixer suitable for smaller kitchens. It has a 5.7-litre capacity and comes complete with stainless-steel bowl, beater whip and bowl guard. Operating on single phase with a 125W motor, the N50 has three speeds for blending, beating and whipping.
The N50 has a superior motor which makes it both reliable and long-lasting, and the hardened and grease-packed steel gears are coated in a special lubricant that will enable the product to operate for years without needing maintenance. The Hobart planetary mixer design has not changed significantly since its conception more than 80 years ago, although new features have been added.
To view the whole planetary mixer range or any of Hobart's food preparation, cooking or dishwashing ranges visit the company website, or call 01733 392 244 for more information.
AND PREVIOUS WINNERS AREâ¦
The winner of the outdoor kit bonanza competition in the 26 April issue of Buy It! was Tim Barber of the Masons Arms, Cardiff
The winner of the Unilever barbecue competition in the 31 May issue of Buy It! was A Wilde, general services manager of the Fire Service College, Moreton in Marsh
Terms and conditions
1. This competition is not open to employees or agents of Reed Business Information or Hobart.
2. We reserve the right to change the prize without notice, and no cash alternative will be offered.
3. The winner will be selected at random from correct entries, and the publisher's decision is final.
4. Reed Business Information will use the contact information you provide to communicate with you on behalf of the Caterer Group. We may also use the information you have provided to send direct marketing material from ourselves relating to other products and services that may be of interest to you. Your information may also be disclosed to other companies who wish to send you information about their products and services, including our sponsor, Hobart. This could involve data transfer to countries outside the European Economic Area. For further information and choices please visit our data protection page or write to us at RBI, Freepost RCC2619, Haywards Heath RH16 3BR.
5. The winner's name will appear in Caterer and Hotelkeeper and on Caterersearch.com.