It's not the sexiest of subjects, but the fact is that fat in drains is a common problem for commercial kitchens. Hot or cold fat in sinks and drains can quickly solidify, causing blockages and flooding, and the inconvenience and associated downtime can result in huge losses.
Water treatment specialist Watling Hope estimates that up to 70% of drain blockages in a commercial kitchen is caused by a build-up of fat, oil and grease cooling on the walls of the pipes.
Added to that, the Water Industry Act 1991 limits the amount of grease that can be discharged to the sewer and anyone falling foul of the rules faces prosecution and fines.
The traditional solution is a fat trap in which fat is separated out from the water, then skimmed off and emptied regularly. However, the grease from fat traps still has to be disposed of, and this is becoming increasingly expensive.
Water treatment specialist Watling Hope has developed the Grease Goblin drain treatment system (pictured), which uses a high-performance biological fluid, containing a combination of bacteria and enzymes, to break down offensive material and protect against build-up from animal and vegetable fat.
The system, comprising a wall-mounted pump operated by either mains or battery, sits under the sink, where it injects a measure of specially developed biological solution into the drain line at pre-programmed intervals which degrades fat deposits and creates a protective barrier to provide biological protection 24 hours a day. Regular dosing creates a living fat-digesting culture within the drain line which degrades fat as it cools on the walls of the pipe.
With all this talk of grease, Buy It! has teamed up with Watling Hope to offer one lucky reader a three-night break for two in Athens.
How to enter
One lucky reader who can answer the question below correctly will win this amazing prize. All entries must be submitted on a postcard by 15 March 2008. Entrants should include their name, job title, company name and address and contact telephone number. Send entries to Buy It!/Grease Goblin Competition, Caterer and Hotelkeeper, Quadrant House, The Quadrant, Sutton, Surrey SM2 5AS.
What percentage of commercial kitchen drain blockages are caused by a build-up of grease?
The winner and a guest will fly to Athens, where they will stay at a five-star hotel for three nights, and will be treated to a meal at a local restaurant.
For more information on the Grease Goblin, call 01789 741825 or visit the company website here >>
|And the winner is … The winner of the Amoy/Valera induction hob competition in the 20 December issue of *Buy It!* is Eric Larquier, catering manager for Eurest at Hewlett Packard, London.
Terms & conditions
- This Watling Hope prize draw competition is open to professional caterers in the UK only.
- Employees of Watling Hope and Reed Business Information, their families, agents and anyone else involved with the administration of this free prize draw are not eligible for entry.
- No purchase necessary to enter.
- The winner will be selected at random from all correct entries received by the closing date stated.
- The three-night holiday for two people is subject to availability, excludes bank holidays and must be taken by the end of 2008. It includes return flights to and from Athens from London for two people. Airline and hotel to be confirmed. Hotel accommodation is on a room-only basis. The prize includes a meal at a restaurant local to the hotel. The prize does not include travel to and from London. The prize does not include personal insurance or travel insurance, or car hire. The winner is responsible for ensuring that those travelling arrange travel insurance, passports and travel to and from the airport at their own expense.
- The prize is non-transferable and no cash alternative is offered in lieu.
- The publisher's decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Closing date for receipt of entries is 15 March 2008.
- Reed Business Information will use the contact information you provide to communicate with you on behalf of the Caterer Group. We may also use the information you have provided to send direct marketing material from ourselves relating to other products and services that may be of interest to you. Your information may also be disclosed to other companies who wish to send you information about their products and services, including our sponsor, Watling Hope. This could involve data transfer to countries outside the European Economic Area. For further information and choices please visit our data protection page here or write to us at RBI, Freepost RCC2619, Haywards Heath, RH16 3BR, UK.
- The winner's name will appear in Caterer and Hotelkeeper and on Caterersearch.com.