As diners opt for a healthier lifestyle, fish and seafood is a winner across the board, from fine-dining to staff restaurants.
Menurama statistics indicate that fish and seafood is most popular at the start of a meal, now accounting for 26% of starters, compared with 20% in 2003. It's also the choice for 17% of main courses compared with 14.8% in 2003, and for 18% of snacks compared with 14% in 2003.
Today's consumers are used to eating a wider variety of fish and seafood than ever before, giving restaurants the opportunity to make the most of the 100 species available to them.
Buy It! has teamed up with Young's Foodservice and BBC Saturday Kitchen favourite Mitch Tonks to offer one lucky Buy It! reader the chance to glean a whole new insight into the fruits of the ocean with a fantastic overnight seafood extravaganza for two worth £1,500.
HOW TO ENTER
One lucky reader who can answer the question below correctly will win this amazing prize. All entries must be submitted on a postcard by 15 January 2009. Entrants should include their name, job title, company name and address, and contact telephone number.
Send entries to Buy It!/Young's Competition, Caterer and Hotelkeeper, Quadrant House, The Quadrant, Sutton, Surrey SM2 5AS.
At which part of a meal is fish and seafood most popular?
b) Main course
The winner and a guest will be wined and dined at Mitch Tonks's latest restaurant, the Seahorse in Dartmouth. On the waterfront overlooking the River Dart, the Seahorse specialises in seafood, including Dartmouth crab, dressed to order, diver-caught scallops from Lyme Bay grilled with garlic butter, fried local squid and seafood stew.
At the end of the evening, they will be invited to hitch a ride across the river on the Seahorse's own boat, the Pearlfisher, to spend the night at one of Dartmouth's or Brixham's hotels.
Early next morning, it's off with Tonks to explore Brixham market, packed with delicious fresh seafood, followed by breakfast at the Fishermen's Mission.
To top off the prize and generate profit for business back home, Young's has stumped up six cases of its fish and seafood products. The food service range includes scampi products and bubbly battered Chip Shop for Chefs.
For more information on Young's Foodservice, call 0800 132096 or visitwww.youngscaterer.co.uk.
|And the winner is … The winner of the [Alveston Kitchens/Scanfrost competition to win a £1,300 dessert trolley in the 30 October issue of *Buy It!* is N Rossi, proprietor, Ancient Gate House hotel, Wells, Somerset|
Terms and conditions
- This competition is not open to employees or agents of Reed Business Information or Young's.
- We reserve the right to change the prize without notice and no cash alternative will be offered.
- The prize does not include travel to and from Dartmouth. The winner and their guest will be responsible for making their own travel arrangements.
- The winner will be selected at random from correct entries, and the publisher's decision is final.
- Reed Business Information will use the contact information you provide to communicate with you on behalf of the Caterer Group. We may also use the information you have provided to send direct marketing material from ourselves relating to other products and services that may be of interest to you. Your information may also be disclosed to other companies who wish to send you information about their products and services including our sponsors, Young's. This could involve data transfer to countries outside the European Economic Area. For further information and choices, please visit our data protection page at www.reedbusiness.co.uk/dataprotection or write to us at RBI, Freepost RCC2619, Haywards Heath RH16 3BR, UK.
- The winner's name will appear in Caterer and Hotelkeeper and on Caterersearch.com.