It's hard to imagine British cuisine without the potato and, more specifically, chips. Some might say that chips are one of our national treasures - certainly fish and chips is considered a national dish.
The British Potato Council states that one out of every four British potatoes is made into chips - that's approximately 1.25 million tonnes every year - and that 250 million portions of fish and chips are sold annually.
While the chip has suffered something of an image problem lately, fuelled by the nation's obsession with healthy eating, chip manufacturers have responded by developing products that have a lower fat content once cooked, so that we can enjoy our chips without too much guilt.
Buy It! has teamed up with potato products manufacturer Aviko to offer readers the chance to win a Bonnet Optimum 700 Series 18-litre fryer, worth more than £1,600, as well as products from Aviko's range of Super Crunch chips.
How to enter
One lucky reader who can answer the question below correctly will win this amazing prize. All entries must be submitted on a postcard by 15 July. Entrants should include their name, job title, company name and address and contact telephone number.
Send entries to Buy It!/Aviko Competition, Caterer and Hotelkeeper, Quadrant House, The Quadrant, Sutton, Surrey SM2 5AS.
How many portions of fish and chips are sold annually?
a) 150 million
b) 250 million
c) 350 million
The winner will receive a Bonnet Optimum 700 Series 18-litre fryer, on cupboard, from Hobart with a value of between £1,641 and £2,028, depending on which model is chosen from electric, mains gas or LPG gas.
The Optimum 700 series range of freestanding fryers offers flexibility and simplicity, being constructed with low-density heating elements, one-piece tanks and an integral cool zone, maximising oil life and minimising costs. Thermostatic regulation gives precise control, ensuring quality production, and hinged elements with integral handle make cleaning easy and safe. The gas fryer incorporates automatic ignition for ease of use.
Additionally, Aviko will provide our winner with a case (4 x 2.5kg) each of its Super Crunch Fries and Super Crunch Mega Fries.
Responding to an increased demand for higher-quality chips, Aviko says that, compared with its 9.5mm standard frozen fries, its 9.5mm Super Crunch Fries are twice as crisp and have a 50% longer holding time, which helps to reduce waste and enables up to 17% saving on oil usage. The 18mm Super Crunch Mega Fries are chunky, crispy chips which save up to 65% in oil usage and have only 5% fat content after frying and 3.8% fat content after oven-baking.
|And the winner is … The winner of the Knorr Essential Seven All-Clad competition in the 24 April issue of *Buy It!* is Victoria Turnbull, head chef, Grafton House hotel, Durham.|
Terms and conditions
- This competition is not open to employees or agents of Reed Business Information or Aviko.
- We reserve the right to change the prize without notice, and no cash alternative will be offered.
- The winner will be selected at random from correct entries, and the publisher's decision is final.
- The prize does not include installation of the equipment, the cost and arrangement of which will be the responsibility of the winner.
- Reed Business Information will use the contact information you provide to communicate with you on behalf of the Caterer Group. We may also use the information you have provided to send direct marketing material from ourselves relating to other products and services that may be of interest to you. Your information may also be disclosed to other companies who wish to send you information about their products and services, including our sponsor, Aviko. This could involve data transfer to countries outside the European Economic Area.
For further information and choices please visit our data protection page at www.reedbusiness.co.uk/dataprotection or write to us at RBI, Freepost RCC2619, Haywards Heath, RH16 3BR, UK.
- The winner's name will appear in Caterer and Hotelkeeper and on Caterersearch.com.